Saturday, February 23, 2013

Furthest Shores: Paranoia and Filtility

Furthest Shores: Paranoia and Filtility:

'via Blog this'

SbieDrv is Sandboxie's wedge. This one's existence makes sense, as well --- except, again, I get annoyed at programs that keep running after I've closed them.  For fun, I wanted to see if I could unload it (since it wasn't running):
C:\bin\si>fltmc unload SbieDrv

Unload failed with error: 0x801f0010
Do not detach the filter from the volume at this time.

Huh; doesn't seem I can.  Certainly there must be some performance penalty, to have every filesystem api call traverse a filter chain, no?  Granted, altitudes decide just what they 'see', but, still... mightn't this be just one more drop in the bucket of what made Vista such a dog?

Moving on, to the last one, we've got FileInfo.  This is simply bloat.  It serves both ReadyBoost and Superfetch: both of which I've disabled.  (This is a decent explanation of it: http://winprogger.com/?p=971)

Despite having them disabled, this filter is still loading, and, presumably, being referenced every time filesystem I/O occurs.

Naturally, I wanted to get rid of it, so, expecting it to behave, I bopped into regedit, and set the service start type to 4... and it still started... which admittedly had me scratching my head.

(DISCLAIMER: Following random advice on the Internet is BAD. Don't do this on your own system.)

So, I took the sledgehammer approach, and simply deleted the service key altogether... and it worked!

As I type this, I get the following Kirsten Dunst Turning Japanese (NSFW) warm and tingly feeling giving result:

C:\>fltmc


No filters loaded


Vunderbar! I can't say it feels faster, but I know my bits appreciate not being fondled quite as much; at least, that's what the voices in my head told me, when I was changing my tinfoil headgear.

No comments: